POSITION OVERVIEW Young Women in Energy (YWE) is looking to add new Board Directors to its existing Board. These new Board Directors will also be legally and ethically responsible for all governance activities of the organization. This role includes supporting YWE’s strategic direction through short-term and long-term planning; adopting an annual budget and providing fiscal oversight; supporting the evaluation and development of the Executive Director; establishing and improving policies for the effective management of ongoing activities; and leading the fundraising and sponsorship strategy for the organization.
As a successful candidate, you have a passion for YWE’s mission, vision and values, and an innate understanding of the unique perspectives of YWE’s target demographic, as well as current trends in Alberta’s energy industry. You bring 15+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: nonprofit governance, gender studies, the North American energy industry, policy development, change management and transformation, and/or leadership and development best practices. Your experience includes previously serving on non-profit, charitable, public sector or corporate boards.
• Understand and promote YWE’s mission.
• Be familiar with YWE’s events, programs, policies, and operations.
• Attend quarterly board meetings and committee meetings (as appropriate).
• Strictly adhere to conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.
• Be an ambassador for YWE in the greater business community.
• Stay current on relevant and topical issues in the focus areas of gender, workplace advancement, and the future of Alberta’s energy industry.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• Extensive professional experience (15+ years) with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, or the non-profit sector.
• A demonstrated understanding of YWE.
• Abide by the by-laws, code of conduct and other polices that apply to the Board • A strong professional network in Alberta’s energy industry.
• A team player who can listen to others’ views, advocate for their own, identify common interests and alternatives, and be open to compromise.
Each role is for one, 2-year term. The expected time commitment is approximately four (4) 3-hour Board meetings (quarterly), in addition to one (1) full-day strategy session, with the potential for additional Committee meetings as required, per year. This is a voluntary role. Board Directors are not entitled to remuneration but are reimbursed for travel and other expenses properly incurred in duties as a Board Director.
To apply for this opportunity, please email a copy of your current resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.